BOHEMIA, N.Y. — Secretariat’s race-worn horseshoe from 1973 sold for $36,653 in Leland’s July 17 auction. The racing shoe was sent to Buck Peters, official photographer for Phillip Morris at the 1973 Marlboro Cup by Secretariat’s owner, Penny Chenery.
The shoe was likely worn during the Whitney Stakes before the Marlboro Cup as box in which the item was kept in was dated 9/13/73 by Secretariat’s exercise rider Jim Gaffney. The shoe still shows remnants of the original Belmont racetrack dirt caked in its crevices.
Among other horseracing items in the 141 horseracing items were: Seattle Slew’s race-worn horseshoe from the Woodward Track record race sold for $10,479; Citation’s race-worn horseshoe as a 3-year old for $6,351; and an official souvenir program from the War Admiral vs. Seabiscuit race for $3,322.
The sale also featured 21 items from a scrapbook once owned by the family of Shoeless Joe Jackson. A two-page, four-sided document of the actual lawsuit filed by Jackson against the Chicago White Sox on Feb. 16, 1921, claiming his team owed him $16,711.04 in back pay sold for $7,121.
A couple of fight-worn boxing robes grabbed large numbers. Muhammad Ali’s robe from his 1976 match with Jean-Pierre Coopman sold for $68,189; and Joe Frazier’s robe worn in the 1974 Jerry Quarry fight fetched $34,035.
Among other items that sold in the Leland’s sale were:
- A 1939 Cooperstown Hall of Fame inaugural class-signed First Day Cover for $75,008;
- A 1940s Memphis Red Sox game-worn jersey and cap for $51,699;
- A “Deflategate” ball from last year’s AFC championship game sold for $43,740;
- Muhammad Ali’s U.S. passport sold for $18,752;
- A game-used 1959 Willie Mays All-Star bat, signed, for $13,614;
- Harry Hooper’s circa 1912 Boston Red Sox game-worn cap (with Hooper letter) for $14,975;
- A Bill Dickey game-used bat for $9,728;
- A 1917 movie poster of the silent film “The Umpire” for $8,843;
- Vince DiMaggio’s Pittsburgh Pirates game-worn jersey from 1944 for $8,251; and
- Eddie LeBaron’s Washington Redskins game-worn jersey for $6,040;