DALLAS — Mickey Mantle’s 1968 game-worn jersey attributed to his 535th career home run sold for $486,000 during a recent Heritage Auctions sale. The auction ended Feb. 26. The item was second highest grossing item in the sale, one of 28 six-figure items on the $12 million night.
Babe Ruth’s 1930-’31 signed contract sold for $384,000. Other top grossing items were mostly high grade cards. Two Leroy Neiman works sold for $144,000 (Arnold Palmer) and $156,000 (’84 Los Angeles Olympics).
A pair of Evel Knievel items, motorcycle leathers and a diamond-studded walking stick, sold for $108,000 and $78,000, respectively.
Meanwhile, legendary Olympian Olga Korbut sold medals from the historic Munich and Montreal Games in 1972 and 1976. Her team and floor gold medals sold for $66,000 and $52,800; her team gold medal from the Montreal Olympics fetched $57,600. Her silver medals in the ’72 (uneven bars) and ’76 games (beam) sold for $26,400 each. The medals were part of 32 lots sold including other medals, awards and ephemera, totaling $333,504.
Some international media outlets had reported the Arizona resident was selling the items for financial reasons. She said in a statement, “I am not in any financial crisis as has been reported . . . . Millions of people have touched these medals and I wanted to ensure that millions more could enjoy seeing them.”
Among other items that sold were:
- Ted Williams game-used bats for $180,000;
- A 1911 World Series press pin from Shibe Park for $108,000;
- Arnold Palmer’s 1958 Masters golf shoes for $66,000;
- A Derek Jeter game-worn, signed Yankees road uniform from 2014, the second to last game and hit of his career, for $60,000;
- A Babe Ruth-signed bat for $72,000;
- Roger Craig’s 1955 Brooklyn dodgers world championship ring for $72,000;
- A game-worn Jim Brown jersey from the Cleveland Browns for $72,000;
- A Cy Young-signed ball for $26,400;
- A heavily used Mickey Mantle batting helmet for $24,000; and
- A Bob Gibson game-used, home Cardinals jersey for $31,200; and a Billy Williams game-used home Cubs jersey for the same price.