MIAMI — The family of Roberto Clemente is auctioning hundreds of items, including the late Hall of Fame outfielder’s 1971 World Series ring and a 1966 game-worn Pirates road jersey at a July 11 auction being conducted by Hunt Auctions. The sale is part of the All-Star Game FanFest.
Clemente’s wife, Vera, decided she’d lived with the memorabilia long enough and the time was right to share the items with his fans.
The ring already has reached a bid of $138,600. A 1960 home uniform and his 1960 World Series ring also are in the sale.
Among other items in the sale are:
- Thurman Munson’s 1975 Gold Glove award;
- A glove attributed to Christy Mathewson;
- A Lefty Grove glove attributed to the pitcher’s 300th win season;
- Brooks Robinson’s 1966 World Series championship ring;
- A Joe DiMaggio bat circa 1948-’49 that was given to Phil Rizzuto;
- A Babe Ruth pro model bat signed by Ruth and Gehrig;
- A Walter Johnson pro model bat, only the second such bat to come to auction;
- A Ty Cobb-signed pro model bat from 1914;
- A 1949 Jackie Robinson All-Star game pro model bat used at Ebbets Field;
- A 1934 All-Star Game pendant presented to Lou Gehrig; and
- A single-signed Babe Ruth ball that was his 571st career home run.