WEST BERLIN, N.J. — A 1905 Christy Mathewson game-used bat, signed and dated by John McGraw and other members of the New York Giants, sold for $218,700 in a Goldin Auction event that ended early Aug. 9. The sales price was twice the minimum bid.
A Babe Ruth 1932 Yankees cap fell short of an unspecified reserve price and failed to sell.
A Michael Jordan game-used and signed jersey from 1997-’98 sold for $102,340, more than two and a half times the $35,000-plus estimate.
Among other items that sold were:
- A game-used and signed Babe Ruth bat for $75,330;
- James Worthy’s personal NBA 50th Anniversary lithograph of the league’s 50 greatest players for $66,640;
- A 1956 Mickey Mantle game-used and signed Triple Crown and MVP bat for $59,500. It is known to be one of three known Mantle bats from 1956;
- Bob Heinz’s 1973 Miami Dolphins Super Bowl ring for $66,640;
- Mike Tyson’s 1987 WBA heavyweight championship belt won for $49,980;
- A Derek Jeter game-used glove from 2004 for $51,030;
- Mike Schmidt’s 1979 Gold Glove award (with Schmidt letter) for $49,208;
- A Hank Greenberg game-used and signed Tigers cap for $48,600;
- Babe Ruth’s home run ball #519 ball, signed by Ruth and Gehrig, for $40,095;
- A game-used Ernie Banks bat used to hit career home run No. 466 for $35,700;
- Joe Gordon’s game-used Yankees home jersey from 1939 for $31,590;
- Royce Clayton’s 2007 Boston Red Sox World Series ring with presentation box for $30,940;
- A 2004 Red Sox World Series ring sold for $29,160; and
- A throwback New England Patriots jersey worn Oct. 11, 2009 by Tom Brady for $29,160.