A few Christy Mathewson items from the 1910 Manhattan Championship, a latter day Subway Series between the New York Highlanders and the New York Giants, feature three lots — Mathewson’s watch fob, a pin-back photo-ID badge and his Championship player’s ring. The 14-karat gold ring has a central European-cut diamond on the front, encircled by the die-struck words “New York Champions 1910.” On both sides of the shank, the name “Mathewson” appears above a spread-winged eagle. The ring comes with documentation from baseball agent Christy Walsh’s law firm.
Among other items in the sale are:
- A Fergie Jenkins game-used home flannel jersey from his 1971 Cy Young-winning season with the Cubs;
- A 1974 Cubs road jersey from another Hall of Famer, Billy Williams;
- A 1971 paycheck issued to Muhammad Ali from Bob Arum for “The Fight of the Century” fight purse;
- A pre-Olympics Aug. 1, 1960, handwritten and signed letter from Cassius Clay;
- A late 1940s Warren Spahn Boston Braves game-used, autographed road flannel;
- A 1984-’85 Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Lakers game-used home jersey;
- A 1976-’77 Julius Erving rookie Philadelphia 76ers game-used road jersey; and
- And a Super Bowl XXX championship player’s ring from Godfrey Myles of the 1995 Dallas Cowboys.