CHICAGO — A Mickey Mantle game-worn Yankees jersey reached Ruthian numbers at the National Sports Collector’s Convention auction at the end of July. The Mick’s 1966 road gamer fetched $322,650 in the sale organized through Heritage Auctions. Perhaps a bigger story is the massive 1985 Chicago Bears Super Bowl XX ring that belonged to William “The Refrigerator” Perry. The Frig’s ring fetched $203,150, an unheard of dollar amount for championship jewelry.
The National stage also witnessed a Lou Gehrig 1930s game-worn cap sell for $179,250; Muhammad Ali’s fight-worn shoes from the Frazier “Thrilla in Manila” fight sell for $119,500; and Roy Campanella’s game-worn Dodgers jersey from 1957 fetch $101,575.
Among other items in the sale were:
- Ali’s 1980 fight-worn trunks worn in the Larry Holmes fight for 28,680;
- Wilt Chamberlain’s ’67-’68 game-worn 76ers uniform for $89,625;
- Larry Brown’s 1995 Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl XXX ring for $89,625;
- Hank Aaron’s 1969 game-worn Atlanta Braves jersey for $83,650;
- Pete Rose’s 1963 first career hit ball for $52,580;
- Al Kaline’s 1968 World Series game-worn Tigers road jersey for $47,800;
- Roberto “Momen” Clemente game-used rookie bat (1955) for $46,605;
- Stan Musial game-worn St. Louis Cardinals jersey from 1962 for $45,410
- Willie Mays’s 1967 game-worn San Francisco Giants jersey for $40,630
- A single-signed Roy Campanella ball (pre-accident) for $35,850;
- A Bill Dickey game-worn Yankees cap for $35,800;
- A Warren Spahn game-worn Boston Braves jersey for $33,460;
- A single-signed Lou Gehrig baseball from 1939 for $33,460;
- A Ty Cobb single-signed baseball with career highlights notated in the 1950s for $31,070;
- An Ernie Banks game-worn fielder’s glove from 1969 for $31,070;
- A Red Ruffing championship Yankees ring for $25,095;
- A game-used Ted Williams bat from early in his career for $28,680;
- A 1960s Oscar Robertson Cincinnati Royals shooting jacket for $18,045;
- An opening day ticket stub and program for Ebbets Field in 1947, when Jackie Robinson made his debut, for $15,535;
- A Jackie Robinson single-signed baseball for $11,950.
- A 1997 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup ring for $19,120; and
- A Ron Santo game-used glove, circa 1960, for $10,158.