LAGUNA NIGUEL, Calif. — The Laws of Base Ball from 1856 and 1857, including the three-page document by Daniel Lucius “Doc” Adams, sold for $3,263,246 during an auction organized by SCP Auctions. The sale that took 42 bids ended early Sunday.
The sale by the anonymous buyer is the third highest paid for a piece of sports memorabilia, falling short of Babe Ruth’s jersey in 2012 for $4.4 million and James Naismith’s Rules of Basket Ball in 2010 by Kansas Jayhawks benefactor David Booth ($4.33 million).
Twelve bids took a Sandy Koufax jersey from 1956 to more than $300,000, but that total wasn’t high enough to send the signed item home with a new owner.
Don Drysdale uniforms, awards and championship jewelry fetched handsome prices. His 1963 world championship ring sold for $110,111; his 1962 Cy Young Award also topped six figures with a $100,100 winning bid.
Among other Drysdale items sold were his:
- 1965 World championship ring for $91,000;
- 1956 Brooklyn dodgers game-worn rookie home uniform for $82,727;
- 1969 uniform for $41,372;
- A 1965 game-worn uniform for $37,610, and a ’65 road uniform for $34,190;
- A circa 1960s game-used glove for $30,343.
The 1989 agreement between Major League Baseball and Pete Rose that sealed Charlie Hustle’s ban from baseball sold for $85,602. It was signed by Commissioner Bart Giamatti, Fay Vincent, Rose, among others. It is the fully executed agreement received back from MLB, Rose stated in a accompanying letter.
Among other items that sold were:
- Dallas Baker’s 2008 Pittsburgh Steelers Super Bowl XLIII ring for $62,152;
- Duke Snider’s 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers National League championship ring for $50,062;
- Harmon Killebrew’s 1965 American League championship ring for $46,772;
- British oalie Jimmy Foster’s hockey gold medal from 1936 for $43,924;
- Brooks Robinson’s 1963 Orioles game-worn home jersey for $40,388;
- A Steve Carlton autographed Cardinals home jersey for $30,343;
- Isiah Thomas’s 1992 All-Star game jersey, with a letter signed by David Stern, for $26,896;
- Stan Musial’s 1947 road Cardinals jersey for $23,387;
- Godfrey Myles’s 1993 Cowboys Super Bowl XXVIII ring for $23,351;
- Vida Blue’s 2010 Giants World Series ring for $22,796; and
- Kurt Flood’s 1968 Gold Glove Award trophy for $22,226.